When using power boards, power points or extensions cords it’s important to make sure you take the necessary safety precautions to minimise the risk of electric shock, severe injuries or even death. Faulty appliances with damaged or frayed cords should be thrown away or replaced. Overloading power board’s and power points will create the risk of fires, damage to property, damage to appliances/electronics and risk of severe injuries to persons. If you find yourself using too many power boards because you don’t have a power point in reach of an appliance or electronic, contact Prolux Electrical and we can discuss options of installing new power points to designated areas required in your home.
Putting safety plugs onto unused power point sockets to prevent accidental contact is one of the many safety tips we can provide your family with. To read more important safety tips to ensure your family’s safety when using extension cords, power boards or power points.
Our comprehensive safety tips for your family home:
- If there is a build up of dirt, moisture, grease or oil on or around power points and switches, arrange for a registered electrical contractor to have them tested before use.
- Do not spray household cleaners, detergents and insecticides on switches and power points
- Do not wipe power points or switches with a wet cloth
- Do not allow children to play with power points or switches
- Do not plug high wattage appliances (such as heaters) into power boards as they could overheat the circuit wiring through overload and cause a fire and/or injuries to persons.
- Do not place extension leads near heaters and cookers
- Place extension cords carefully around furniture preferably securely taped to the floor, or along wall edges
- Make sure all extension cords purchased and in use have a 3 pin plug.
- Only use extension leads as a temporary measure, if you find yourself constantly having to use an extension cord, talk to your electrical contractor about installing a PowerPoint in the required area.
- Extension leads that are damaged, frayed or have the inner wires exposed should be thrown away or repaired by a qualified repairman or licensed electrician
- Check electrical cords are not hanging from benches where children can grab them
- Do not connect a piggyback plug to the end of an extension lead to make it longer as the pins will be live. This can be extremely dangerous
- If using extension leads outdoors check them regularly for signs of damage or age
- Do not attempt to repair electrical leads yourself, and never join them by twisting or taping
- Never place extension leads under carpet or rugs as they may overheat
- Avoid using power boards in wet areas such as bathrooms or laundries.
- Avoid using extension cords in wet weather or where they could contact water. If your extension cord gets wet, switch it off, unplug it from power, dry it well and check for any damage before using it again.